But tidings out of the east and out of the north shall trouble him: therefore he shall go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly to make away many.
Many teach that Russia is the king of the north of Daniel 11, but this is impossible for the following reasons:
1. Russia never was a part of the old Roman Empire out of which 10 kingdoms must be formed in the last days and out of which Antichrist must come [Dan. 7:8, 23-24]
2. Russia never was a part of the old Grecian Empire, or the 4 divisions of that empire after the death of Alexander the Great, out of which Antichrist must come [Dan. 8:9-14, 20-23]
3. Russia is not once referred to in the wars of Dan. 11:4-34. These were eventually fought between Syria and Egypt in a period of about 150 years, ending with the reign of Antiochus Epiphanes, as seen in the notes on that section of Scripture. Therefore, to insert Russia into the future wear between the future king of the north [Syria] and the king of the south [Egypt] is adding to God’s Word. One might as well identify the U.S.A., Britain, or any other country we want to as the king of the north as to do so with Russia.
4. If Russia is the king of the north of Dan. 11:4-45, then what countries are north of Russia that will make war on Russia, fulfilling the war tidings from the north and east of this king of the north of v 44? There are no countries north of Russia that could make war on her, fulfilling this verse. Hence, Russia is entirely out of the picture in Daniel 11.
5. In the past Russia bordered the Syrian division of the 4 divisions of the old Grecian Empire, so in the formation of the 10 kingdoms this will perhaps be true of the border between future Syria and Russia. Hence, Russia could be the only country to fulfill making war on Syria at that time, for Turkey will have already been conquered by him and made part of the 10 kingdoms of Revised Rome, under the king of the north [Daniel 7: 23-24; Rev. 17:8-17].
ANOTHER FALACY ABOUT RUSSIA:
The only other major fallacy about Russia is that she will invade Palestine, fulfilling Ezek. 38-39. Many are the speculations regarding Russia being the country from which Antichrist comes, of her fulfilling Dan. 11;40-45; Ezek. 38-39, and of her invading Palestine before the battle of Armageddon. Not one of these theories is true. Even if Russia did invade Palestine before Armageddon, no particular prophecy would be involved. Ezek. 38-39 could not be fulfilled by any such war, for these two chapters are to be fulfilled at Armageddon only, and not in some war before then. [see notes on Ezek. 38-39].
If Bible Scholars will recognize one thing, not only will Ezek. 38-39 be clear to them, but also Dan. 11:44. That one thing is, Antichrist from Syria will get power over the 10 kingdoms of Revised Rome in the first 3 ½ years of Daniel’s 70th week, and then the war between him and his 10 kingdoms and the countries east and north of the old Roman Empire territory will be fought. Antichrist will conquer the eastern and northern countries and become the ruler of Russia by conquest, not by being a native of Russia and coming from her [v 44]. At that time he will become the Gog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal of Ezek. 38-39, at the end of this war or near the end of the last 3 ½ years of Daniel’s 70th week. Then, and then only, will Ezek. 38-39 be fulfilled. The antichrist will lead the newly conquered countries, together with the 10 kingdoms, and other nations that will co-operate with him, through the ministry of the 3 unclean spirits [Rev. 16; Rev. 13-16], to their end at Armageddon [Ezek. 38-39; Joel 3; Zech. 14; Rev. 19:11-21].
Thus the king of the north [Syria], will war on the countries north and east of Syria, and they will be defeated, for Antichrist will go forth with great fury to destroy, and utterly make away many . Many, if not all the nations north and east of the old Roman Empire territory, will unite to put down this new conqueror who, in 3 ½ short years will have gained complete mastery of all the 10 kingdoms of the Roman Empire territory. Realizing he is set upon complete world conquest they will know that they must defeat him or be defeated eventually by him. So, before he recovers from his bloody wars inside the Roman Empire, they will unite to put an end to his conquest. Antichrist could perhaps conquer more of the world if it were not for Christ’s coming to earth to save Israel when half of Jerusalem is taken [Zech. 14]. Thus, Antichrist’s dream of being a total world-wide dictator will come far short of his goal. Christ will be the one and only world-wide ruler other than Adam and Noah of the human race and Lucifer of the angelic race.
– Dake Annotated Reference Bible: page 879-880